Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why I love being a writer...

No one ever said writing a book would be easy.  It's hard enough to balance having a full time job (more like a job and a half) while also striving to be the best husband and father I can be.  Finding the time to dedicate to writing can be incredibly difficult.  Even worse though is being faced with the seemingly impossible task of getting others to take notice of your work after its finished.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I am extremely blessed to have all that I have in life.  This was never something I had to do.  It has always been something I wanted to do - a dream I've had since I was a boy.  I knew going in that the road to success as a writer would be long and arduous. I must confess at times that I have questioned whether or not it's worth it.  Maybe I should just take up golf like normal people my age.  But then, something happens to remind why I love this journey I'm on, and I am inspired all over again. 

At my recent book signing, a young girl and her parents paid me a visit. They live not far from where I live, so I know firsthand that they traveled pretty far out of their way to come see me.  The girl was shy and soft-spoken as she approached, and at first her parents did most of the talking.  I quickly learned how the young girl read my book over the course of the summer and how she absolutely loved it.  She was so excited to meet me and was so enamored with my book that now her parents are reading it with her so they can share the experience.  As I continued to talk with this wonderful family, my heart melted inside.  I was truly humbled to realize how I had captured the imagination of this young girl.  It took me back to when I was that age, completely fascinated by the heroics of Jedi Knights, Caped Crusaders, and Real American Heroes (Go Joe!)  As we spoke further, the young girl opened up more and more and soon wanted to know when the second installment would be out so she could read what happens next.  I regretted telling her that it was still a ways off, but that I was working on it.  What I did not tell her and wish I had is that she had inspired me that day.  She made me realize why I began this journey in the first place, and why I am committed to seeing it through to the end.  I realize that I am not changing the world here, but there is something pretty cool about connecting with people through my work.  There is nothing more rewarding for me as a writer than hearing from someone that they thoroughly enjoyed my story. 

To that young girl and her parents - if you are reading this - thank you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment